Developing Efficient Capital Markets and the Importance of Market Data – a joint association seminar with a Global Outlook
Well-functioning capital markets are critical to economic growth and opportunity as deeper and more integrated markets will
- provide companies with a greater choice of funding at lower costs
- offer new opportunities for savers and investors
- make the financial system more resilient
Efficient securities markets are vital in this context, as there is a critical link between primary and secondary markets, as the efficiency and depth of secondary markets have direct influence on capital allocation in the economy and the cost for funding for companies and governments. Also, robust secondary markets improve the incentive for both institutional and retail investors to make (long-term) investment in such markets. To ensure both companies and investors stand to benefit from integrated capital markets, access to high-quality market data at reasonable cost is essential, as this is indispensable for both buy-side and sell-side to carry out their business. Otherwise, the securities markets will face less efficient pricing of securities, more volatile, less deep and less liquid markets, which harms both companies and investors – meaning the real economy.
This is not just a local or a regional fact. This is a global scenario and the background for this seminar. With an eye on the increasing frustration of participants with increasing market data costs and complex market data policies, we have invited several prominent speakers, who each have their take on the challenges and possible solutions:
- Tilman Lueder, Head of Securities Markets Unit, DG FISMA, European Commission
- Sigurd Næss-Schmidt, Partner and Director of Economics, M.Sc. (Econ.), Copenhagen Economics
- John Ramsay, Chief Market Policy Officer, IEX Group inc
- Nej D’Jelal, Head of Electronic Equities Products for EMEA, Barclays
- Sander Schol, Head of regulatory Strategy, Europe & Asia, Aurel BGC
- Simon Janin, Head of Public Affairs, Amundi
- Fabio Braga, Manager, CFA, Financial Conduct Authority
- James McKeone, VP, Nasdaq
- Moderator: Niki Beattie, CEO, Market Structure Partners
The seminar will take place on:
7 November 2019 13.30 - 18.00 CET
at EU Thon
Rue de la Loi 75, 1040 Brussels.
Registration and Coffee from 13.00 CET.
We are looking forward to seeing you.